Industrial Designers Society of America, Virginia, USA.
- Elected Professional member. 2000
The Chartered Society of Designers, London, UK.
- Elected Diploma member. 1992.
Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design, London, UK.
- BA with Honors, Industrial Design & Engineering. 1988 – 1991.
Somerset College of Art and Design, Somerset, UK.
- Diploma in General Arts & Design (Merit.) 1987 – 1988.
Vice President of Products
ECOtality and Blink, San Francisco, CA , March 2011 to present.
- Created and managed the inhouse design and marketing team that designed the largest network of smart charging solutions in the world.
- Developed and evolved the complete ecosystem of networked physical and digital products in a new category of industry.
- Build powerful partnerships with over 40 Fortune 500 companies including Mercedes Benz, VW Audi, Nissan, ABB, SAP, Cisco, IKEA, Macy’s.
- Design and development includes smart EV chargers, mobile devices with partners and map and app interfaces, as well as brand DNA.
Product Design Business Development Director
frog design, San Francisco, CA , Nov. 2009 to March 2011.
- Crafted engaging approaches for programs by focusing my passion for the entire design process, providing a more holistic offering.
- Built strong and significant partnerships with clients by working as the point person for all aspects of the relationship.
- Directed opportunities for frog by inspiring the culture of the clients we worked with, becoming innovation and marketing stewards.
- Projects included: Over $2 mil of project work including ECOtality’s Blink family of EV chargers.
Arts Fund, San Francisco, CA , Sept. 2008 to Nov. 2009.
- Built a brand and experience design agency for the Arts Funds, a new generation technical incubator.
- Lead creative for all aspects of the design and development of ‘complete design solutions’, from branding to experience and digital media.
- Projects included: The Arts Fund group, nodconcept, an iPhone applications company & Storyboard, a social network for the film industry.
Director of Design
Sparkfactor Design, San Francisco, CA , Jan. 2004 to Sept. 2008.
- Created and evolved brand, product and user interface solutions for a wide spectrum of clients.
- Immersed at every level of the design process.
- Projects included: Xoopit – a social networking software platform, Cloud Systems – control management user interface, Williams Sonoma Home – home and decorative accessories collections, and BSSP / Epson – pioneering experience design.
Lead Industrial Designer
Smart Design, San Francisco, CA. July 2002 to Nov. 2003.
- Primary industrial designer in a multi disciplinary studio, responsible for the integration of industrial design into all
- other disciplines at Smart SF. Involved in all aspects of the design process.
- Project teams were often bi-coastal, involving constant in-depth communication, coordination and liaison.
- Projects included: Kaleidescape – a start up next generation media company, Coca Cola, Lego, Oxo and Microsoft.
IDE, Inc. Scotts Valley, CA. Nov. 1997 to July 2002.
- Lead Designer, responsible for the growth and development of the industrial design group within the company.
- Championed the strategy to elevate the presence and relevance of IDE within the design
- Created, developed and completed over 30 projects, including work for Kestrel bikes, NCD, Ericsson, Mitsubishi, Silicon film, Creative labs, Adaptec and 3 Com.
Taunton, UK. Aug. 1996 – Nov. 1997.
- Worked on a number of design and design research projects, including:
- The Walt Disney Corp. The Disney Faire, a Location Based Entertainment (LBE) program.
- A complete range of house wares for a leading US retailer.
Hauser, Inc. Los Angeles, CA. July 1994 – July 1996.
- Designed and developed a diverse range of products for medical, consumer, and electronics clients.
- Projects included: A game controller for Microsoft, Shower handsets for Interbath, A patient diagnostics unit for Johnson and Johnson medical.
Freelance Designer: Product, Branding and Packaging
London, UK. 1991 – 1994.
- Independent design consultant responsible for initial presentations, bid proposals, contract negotiations and management of outside vendors. Involved in all phases of design, from initial conception to final production.
- Clients included: Fullers Brewery, Jagged Films USA, PADS UK, Next cosmetics, Bowyers Foods, British Aerospace and Honda Europe.